The best way to get the total number of qualifying years for your state pension is to get a state pension forecast.
Your forecast will tell you:
- The total number of qualifying years you have
- What state pension you are likely to get
- How to increase it, if you can
You have three ways to get a forecast:
- Use your online personal tax account
- Call the Future Pension Centre helpline
- Print and post a form BR19
The easiest and quickest way is to use your personal tax account. It can be a faff to set up an account or log back in if you have forgotten your details.
I like the form BR19 because it has a space to authorise sending the forecast to a 3rd party like your accountant or financial adviser. You’ll get your forecast within 10 working days.